Merlena Murray Memorial Page

Merlena Murray (Berreth), born March 1, 1935 in Beiseker, Alberta, passed July 31, 2020 in Maple Ridge, British Columbia, at the age of 85 years old. 

To quote Mom from her living will: ‘…I am in God’s care, and I shall be with Him in everlasting peace.’ (Merlena Murray, December 12, 2004) 

Based on her own words, Mom departed with a hope and faith in the biblical gospel message and that she would upon death be in paradise (Luke 23, 2 Corinthians 12) and ultimately, one day be body and soul again, with the resurrection of the dead (1 Corinthians 15, 1 Thessalonians 4, Revelation 20-22). 

Mom was very dedicated to her two sons Steven (Arizona) and Russell (British Columbia) and also dedicated to her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She was tough (Russ often called her lovingly, 'The Boss'), as she needed to be from the beginning, as she battled physical challenges from her birth to the age of 85 years old. Mom was not often overtly affectionate, but consistently showed her love through loyalty and concern for her family. 

Mom worked as a stenographer for many years, and upon her retirement continued to help her sons, and assisted with raising grandchildren, that were Steve’s children. She took special care of her youngest grandson, Alexander, when he was very young and Steve and Amber (Steve’s wife and Alexander’s Mom) both worked outside of the home, before relocating to Arizona. Mom enjoyed travelling to Arizona to see Steve and family, and the weather was warm and good for her health. Mom served as typist and proofreader for her son, Russ's early academic career, as he worked toward eventual completion in the United Kingdom. 

Mom steadfastly stood by her son as it took longer than expected and desired to finish his education. It was always clear that Mom lived with dutiful love and commitment.

Consistent with her family tradition from Alberta, she was an excellent cook and baker. It was a delight to eat graham wafer cake, apple pie, pumpkin pie, angel food cake, chocolate cake, brownies and various cookies and muffins. 

Family dinners were always a must when Mom was the cook and baker! ‘Mom/Grandma, what is for dinner!?’ Russ's good friend, Howard was known to check the homemade cookie jar first thing when he came over to visit. 

Mom loved music and in her younger years played the accordion and the piano and also sang in choirs. She performed in concerts in her younger days. 

As her youngest son, (Russ) it seems to me based on our discussions later in her life, that her favourite days as far as everyday home, were back in Alberta on the farm with her Mother and Father and her siblings, Lester, Audrey, Agnes and Gilbert that she mentioned often. 

Mom had the very strong desire and hope for family reunion. Thankfully, the source of her initial life is the same source as her continued life. In the gospel, Mom has the reasonable hope of family reunions. Mom has the promise to be free of her physical ailments in spirit presently as God eventually brings about a new heaven and new earth, free from problems of evil and suffering. 

Mom did not like being in a care home, whatsoever, but did enjoy the weekly visits from Russ and Dave, her former husband and the Father of Steve and Russ. Mom would laugh at some of the antics and would still manage the odd cutting remark! Mom loved it when her grandchildren Carla, Candace, Jeff and Alex and great-grandchildren would visit, all through the years, regardless of where she lived. 

As sad as this death is, if we embrace Mom's worldview based in religious history, we have the reasonable hope that Mom has better days ahead, even as we acknowledge her permanent passing from this world as we now know it.

Please share your thoughts and experiences of and with Merlena!

Russ Murray

Outdoor photos are of Alberta farmland, free photos from
Pixabay.com

Comments

  1. I have this website set up to accept anonymous comments. In other words, without a Google/Blogger account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No longer with us but not forgotten.
    She was a great Mom to Russ and Steve.

    Jamie Clarke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, thank you. Condolences on the even more recent loss of your Father.

      Delete
  3. My heartfelt condolences

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deepest condolences to the whole family. May she rest in peace in God's arms. Wonderful words reflecting on her love & life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wonderful words. God bless you and family.

      Delete
  5. I worked with Steve and Dave and got to know Russ.
    When I met Merlena she treated me like an instant friend of the family.
    Besides the cookies and smiles she was interested in what you had to say.
    She would ask... What do you think Bob? I hoped my answer matched her thoughts because she was firm on opinion! Merlena was a rock of the family who loved them, managed the household, finances, and not shy to give them advice when she felt necessary! I remember her giving full attention to me when we had a conversation looking at me with those beautiful eyes. I know her faith was very complete and she is free of pain, smiling and greeting past relatives and friends that passed before her. God blessed Merlena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob

      That is insightful, interesting and much appreciated. Well, now that we know we are neighbours, see you soon.

      Delete
  6. So sorry to hear about your Moms passing. It’s been many years since we’ve seen here, but always have fond childhood memories of her and your family.
    Garry and Rondi Newman


    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Garry and Rondi,

    Excellent to hear from you, both. I was saddened to hear of the loss of your parents as well, Garry. Aunt Audrey was always very good to me the times I visited Calgary, and I still remember Uncle Garnett showing me how to fish. You were always kind to me too, Gary, as I was pretty quiet. I also remember the brilliant colours with Christmas in 1974 I think it was, when I was six years old and the Berreth family was all in Calgary. Many playing shuffleboard and eating all the goodies.

    I have kept in touch with Uncle Gilbert/Aunt Eileen and Aunt Agnes, which of course included updating Mom's situation. I have not made it out to Alberta recently at all, but if I do it would be cool to meet with extended family.

    Cheers

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was praying for you and your mom the other day, and wondering if your mom was still alive. Now I know. For a long time, I had no computer. I deleted my Facebook account, retired, and now got a job again, as my retirement benefits are not quite sufficient. I was having a 1-2 hour Bible Study via phone or Skype daily with a friend who has multiple life-threatening health issues, plus severe depression, and recently lost his job, plus his wife, son, and both parents died, all adding to his severe depression. Now I haven't heard from him in a couple weeks, and he doesn't return my calls, so I don't know if he is still alive or not.
    -Jeff J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff. I just saw this. I do not check here much. Think of you and pray sometimes. I work for the Gov. now. Feel free to email or call. 778 887 7056...rnmred@gmail.com
      ....

      Delete

Post a Comment